6.19.2003

the priorities in my life
As I was driving to work today, I had to stop quickly at a light and did the soccer-mom-arm-save. To protect my sack lunch from sliding to the floor and squooshing my strawberries.

a wordy release
Two nights ago I unloaded my jumbled thoughts into my personal journal. Eighteen pages later I realized that there were some very interesting thoughts down on paper. Because I am too lazy to write new material for this blog, below is an excerpt.

I have so many thoughts fighting for my full attention right now that I just have to get them out and down on paper. I sit here in a hammock that has become my most favorite part of a house that I have begun to simply love. The night is perfect (as long as the mosquitoes keep their distance) and I feel like just about the most blessed person on this tiny planet right now. I am conflicted, but in ways that only show how God is just too good to me. I sit here in a town that is beginning to feel like home (a year before I am again homeless) totally happy for where I am.

Have I ever felt this? I don't think so. Not that I don't have dreams and things that I desire for my life. I'm just so happy with what I have, happy like I don't think I've been before. I just spent the most amazing semester in a country that I yearn for and have returned to some of the best friends ever; new, old, resurfacing friends. (Is it possible to long to be someplace and yet love where you are at the same time?) I'm finally doing what I want with journalism and loving it. I'm attending a Bible study again...and not one that I have to prepare for. I'm making new friends there and feeling encouraged by their stories and supported by their prayers. I have roommate that are great.

The jobs are going great. The Brady kids can definitely be a challenge. I'd say they are the trying part of the summer. Their adorable-ness, however counter-balances my moments of frustration. just as I feel like I've had it, Amelia will tell me she loves me, or Jackson will crawl into my lap, or Avery will cry out, "Ecka!" with the glee of a child so proud that she can remember my name. Touching. And a real reminder that frustrations are temporary. (Let me just say, thought, that nap time is just lost on twins who sleep in the same room. Their collective energy fits that cliche equation that the whole [energy] is greater than the sum of its parts.)

Business Services would have to be the biggest blessing of the whole summer. I never would have thought that by mentioning the fact that I really needed to find another job, I would end up with a 40 hour work week....just from the University. And what's more, this raise is a promotion that works right with design. I get to promote a university that I love by doing what I love. Who would have thought? I'm working directly under two of the most influential women on campus: J@ckie J0nes (Vice Chancellor of Administrative Services) and Chris Kouko|a (Assistant to the Chancellor). And I have my evenings free!

...those: my thoughts...at least some of them. I of course edited out the more personal thoughts and random sentences that were exceptionally stream of consciousness and that paid no attention to grammar. (Boys are not to be discussed on the Internet, that is my firm belief. Too much like passing notes in middle school: the message could be intercepted by the teacher and read aloud for the whole class --and him!-- to hear.)

there and back again
I'm doing another quick trip to Kansas City again tonight. I'm picking up my friend from camp, Lucy. She's coming to spend a couple of nights with me here in CoMo.

and let us not forget
Tomorrow night. Midnight. 9th Street Bookstore, population: May-gun, me, Lucy, Tuttle....and a certain Harry.

No comments: