6.06.2004

harry potter report
The third HP story is the best book in the series and I’d have to say the best movie so far. Cuaron definitely brought the film to a new level and Daniel Radcliffe finally convinced me he was Harry. My prediction: Emma Watson will be the one of the trio to really make it, post-Potter. (P.S. She has a very fantastic birthday.)

i mentioned to my mom that i’d like to try sky-diving sometime
She said only once I had plenty of health insurance, had written up my will and had enough life insurance to pay for my sister’s grief counseling. Don’t know why I shared that. Guess I just felt like sharing.

i’m a commitment-phobe
You know that conversation-starter question, “If your life were a TV show or movie, what tune would play every time you entered the room?” I’ve never been able to select a theme song. It always seemed too much of a burden to choose just one song to embody my philosophy or personality. That, and every year I latch onto a different band who I claim to be my favorite band ever. But about a week ago, Sarah posted a different approach to this question. So here it is: my life, the soundtrack to the screenplay.

Opening credits “In My Life,” The Beatles. However, Sarah already claimed this song, so I’ll settle for “That’s Life,” Frank Sinatra.

Waking up “Rise and Shine,” traditional. My dad woke me up singing this song every morning, elementary through middle school. I grew to despise it.

First date “Moon River,” Frank Sinatra. No reason in particular, other than I really love the line, “Two drifters, off to see the world. There’s such a lot of world to see. We’re after the same rainbow’s end…” (notice the reference at the top of this blog…)

Love scene “Hand’s Down,” Dashboard Confessional. Ibid. “My hopes are so high that your kiss might kill me. So won’t you kill me? So I die happy.” Now that I type that out, it seems quite morbid. Really, there’s no need to run to the suicide hotline.

Fight scene “Break Stuff,” Limp Bizkit. Back when I danced for Alpha Chi, we did a dance to this song, choreographed to look like a battle. I want to throw stuff against the wall and yell obscenities when I listen to this song.

Breaking up “Shot Through the Heart,” Bon Jovi. “…and you’re to blame. You give love a bad name.” Nothing’s ever my fault, really.

Life's OK “Mr. Blue Sky,” ELO. I don’t see how anyone cannot bob their head and smile while listening to this song.

Driving “Yellow Submarine,” The Beatles & “Why Georgia,” John Mayer. I’m cheating; I couldn’t pick just one. But really, they’re totally different driving songs. When on family road trips, we would sing “Yellow Submarine,” but change the chorus to, “We all live in a green minivan, green minivan, green minivan,” because it sure felt like we were living in the van on our summer treks across the western half of the continent to California. “Why Georgia” kicked off every one of my trips home sophomore and junior year.

Deep thought “The Scientist,” Coldplay & “New Deep,” John Mayer. Cheating. Again. That’s because both have lines that really seem to echo lines that run in my own thoughts and embody how I’ve changed since before college. “The Scientist”: “I was just guessing at numbers and figures. Pulling the puzzles apart. Questions of science, science and progress do not speak as loud as my heart.” “New Deep”: “Ever since I tried trying not to find every little meaning in my life, it’s been fine, I’ve been cool with my new golden rule.”

Flashback “Come Downstairs and Say Hello,” Guster. If I’ve ever had a theme song for a period of time, this would have been one for the past nine months. Check out the lyrics: “Dorothy moves to click her ruby shoes right in tune to Dark Side of the Moon. Someone, someone could tell me where I belong. Be calm, be brave, it’ll be ok. No more messing around, living underground, or new year’s resolutions. By this time next year, I won’t be here…I look straight at what’s coming ahead and soon it’s gonna change in a new direction.”

Partying “Dirrty,” Christina Aguilera. One of what Sarah would call my guilty pleasure songs. I love it.

Happy Dance “Mundian To Bach Ke,” Panjabi MC. A London favorite. I have no clue what the words are saying, so it means I can really loose myself in the beat.

A long night alone “Mad World,” Gary Jules. I like it and it just fits.

Death scene “Table for Two,” Caedmon’s Call. This song doesn’t really fit here, but it fits less everywhere else, and it had to be included. I guess it kinda fits, if this scene were to be more of a reflection of life. Kinda. Maybe “Last Goodbye” by Jeff Buckley would be better suited.

Closing credits “Every Picture Tells a Story,” Rod Stewart. It captures so much.

No comments: