2.04.2003

i'm gonna live forever
The Sarahs and I went to see Fame Saturday night. It was fabulous and made me really miss dancing! I got chills from the routines. McCann and I have been singing the songs around our flat all week. Before the show, a most horrible thing happened. Sarah, Sarah and I crossed the street at the last minute in Picadilly Circus and the girl on her bike right behind us was hit by a double decker red bus. Thank God she wasn't hurt; I don't think she had a scratch on her. But the bike was pinned beneath the bus's front wheels and was completely crushed. I told you navigating the street crossings of London was impossible.

it's a hard-knock life
Tomorrw, our programme excursion is to Bath and Stonehenge. The best thing about this programme is that these excursions are all places that we would visit on our own, but now we get the history before and it's already planned, scheduled and paid for. Wednesday night is the John Mayer concert. Nobody over here has a clue who he is, so the tickets were pretty cheap. Friday I leave for Paris with a group trip planned by the programme. We leave early Friday morning and take the Eurostar under the channel. I can't wait!!!!!

internship update
It's deffinitely getting better, although my work is still pretty menial. Last week was deadline, so I think everyone was really stressed and didn't want to bother with me, the new girl. Yesterday I talked with the Sally, the art director and Caroline, the designer about possibly getting some design experience here. At first they looked at me like, 'What the hell do you think you're doing, asking to touch our precious pages?' Sally asked me how many more days I was here and when I told her until Easter, she said, 'Oh! Then we have plenty of time. We'll deffinitely give you a project.' This whole time they thought I was just here for a week or two! So I'm excited. The project will be really small and most likely won't be printed, but at least now they know what I'm interested in and hopefully they'll be more willing to give me jobs working with Quark.
I'd have to say that my favourite person to work with here is Jenny; she's the Sub-editor, so she works with all the copy. It's easy to talk with her. She is always willing to answer my questions and will explain what's going on around the office. Today she showed me how they mark up the pages before they are sent for the final time to the presses.

meg's internship
Megan's working at CBS's bureau in London. She told us how yesterday, they desperately needed her because they had footage of American soldiers in Afghanistan. Some of the soldiers were from Alabama and the Londoners couldn't understand their foreign tongue. They recruited Meg to interpret. Thought of you, Jason. :)

signs adulthood is coming too fast
*I found out yesterday that Natalie Nester, one of my roommates for this coming summer, is engaged! Congrats, Natalie!
*At the beginning of January, Calvin, one of my friends from high school, shipped out to Afghanistan.
*I am living on my own in Euroupe.

signs that i'm still a kid
*I am neither getting married nor fighting for my country.
*I think I forgot to pay my phone bill at the end of last semester.
*The boys in the basement are building a teepee beneath our window on the back porch, using giant wood stakes that they found and plastic bags from the grocery store. It's just like playing Cowboys and Indians.

observations
*A baked potato is called a 'jacket potato'
*Quotes are done in single quotation marks, like I did above
*80% of the cars in our neighbourhood are BMWs, VWs, Audis, or Mercedes
*'That's alright' means 'you're welcome'
*London weather is about as predictable as Missouri and Kansas weather. I left for work this morning at 9 a.m. without an umbrella, wishing I had worn my sunglasses because it was bright and sunny. It is now 1:30 p.m. and it has been snowing since 11 a.m.

blog envy
Scott has posted comments on Julie and Anne's Ireland blog twice. I've been away two weeks longer and he has yet to give me a simple 'hello.'

No comments: