2.17.2003

i'm one of the girls!
So, I haven't stopped smiling since Friday when Helen the deputy editor and Sally the art director told me that not only will I get a byline in the cakes and flowers supplement, but I will also get a live page to design for the June/July issue! From job bag to computer, to print out with crop marks, to actual publication! And, they invited to to join them at nearby pub to have some wine with them on Valentine's Day afternoon. And to top it off, they complimented me on my outfit Friday. It was a most fabulous day; best Valentine's Day ever.

brief synopsis
Sorry I haven't posted for a week. Things have really picked up, from having more to do at work and trying to figure out my class schedule from afar, to simply trying to spend some quality 'London time.' So, here's a quick run-down of what I've been up to since France:
-Went to the Victoria and Albert Museum for our programme excursion. The cast room was amasing. They have casts of some of the most famous sculptures (like David and the Dying Slave by Michaelangelo) as well as a cast of Trajan's column, which is in Rome. Worth the visit, for sure!
-Megs and I tried (and failed) to see Chicago the movie three times. Instead, we have seen Two Weeks Notice, Punch Drunk Love, and The Hours. The Hours is absolutely amazing. Go see it. Nicole Kidman is so talented; you simply forget any other character she's ever played when you see her as Virginia Woolfe. It's one of those movies where you should go see it before reading the book, read the book, then see the movie again. You walk out of the theatre and can't not discuss it. Again, go see it.
-Went to see Chicago, the musical with Ell and Megs. It was good. Wonderful dancing, especially by the men. I'm always impressed by the way guys can jump and turn.
-Went to Camden Market. Open air markets are a fun way to shop.
Tonight, the plan is to go to the Texas Embassy for dinner after class. It's the building where Texas had their own embassy but is now a restaurant and bar. Tomorrow, Protz and I hope to go see Mamma Mia...if we can get cheap, day of tickets.

observations
-Those little scooters that were really popular for about a minute my freshman year of college are all the rage with kids in Britain.
-I'm backpeddling on my pronunciation and reverting to pre-speech therapy by falling into the British pronunciation of 'r.' My work extension is 'seven foh six foh.'

No comments: