2.06.2003

splish splash i was takin' a baaath
Our excursion yesterday was fabulous. We were priviledged enough to be one of the last groups to see Stonehange. Trudy, our wonderful tour guide informed us that at the end of the month they're closing the site down to visitors for seven years! They're going to build an underground walkway from four miles away to keep so many cars from getting so close. Once again we had simply gorgeous weather. Trudy says that she's never seen the weather be so good our all our trips; she's not going to let us leave in April, she said. Fine with me!
After Stonehenge we went to the city of Bath (pronounced Baaath, as in baa baa black sheep) to see the Roman baths (pronounced bath, as in bath.) Bath would have to be my favorite place so far. The baths were interesting. Meg took a picture of me pretending to stick my feet in the water. You can't really touch it because the pool is lead-lined and is radio-active. I accidently dropped my shoe in the pool. Shh. Don't tell anyone. And if I come back to the States with an extra ear atop my head, please don't laugh too hard. The city was wonderful. Love it. Want to go back. Better than Canterbury.

john, may-er i kiss you?
We got back to London just in time to go to the John Mayer concert. He was absolutely fabulous. What a songwriter! (not to mention, what a hottie!) He sang three new songs; the best went something like this: "On behalf of all the boys / looking out for all the girls / Fathers be good to your daughters / because they grow up to love like you / Daughters grow up to be lovers / who turn into mothers / so mothers be good to your daughters too." Isn't that great?! Thanks, Mom and Dad for teaching me how to love.

only getting better
Tuesday, after I posted during my lunch break, Caroline set me up a folder of my own on one of the design computers. She gave me access to all the completed layouts for the upcoming and most recent issues. She said I could just play around when I don't have anything specific to do. It's great because it means that for part of the day, I'll be with the designers, absorbing all they're doing and able to ask them questions about why they design a certain way. I learned something very interesting Tuesday. They had never heard of a 'pica' over here. It made sense once we talked about it; a pica is a fraction of an inch and they use the metric system in Britain. I found it interesting, because everything in the States is predominantly measured 1 pica equidistant from everything else. Instead of picas, they use millimetres. I think I like picas better. :) I'm still a little doubtful that I'll actually get a substantial clip, but at least I can play designer, even if I'm not really.

observations
*Short skirts and pointy-toed shoes are comming back in style, much to my displeasure.
*Following with the freshman year syndrome, our group continues to go through the phases of being in a new place on our own for the 'first' time. A week and a half ago, one of the girls completely bleached her hair and pierced her eyebrow. (Thought of you, Tuttle.) This weekend, another girl dyed her hair bright blue/green. A couple of people who left a boyfriend of girlfriend in the States have broken up with their other halves.

No comments: