1.30.2003

and now for a massive post. the first half is a message i wrote on our flat computer last night and saved to disk. the other half is an update from today.

the entry I wrote last night . . .

everso unfair
So, after I spent two hours on the Internet Monday, trying to find out about the Catch Me If You Can premier, John from downstairs happened upon the red carpet while he was heading to a movie in Leicester (pronounced “lester”) Square. He was thisclose to Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks! And Leonardo DiCaprio had already gotten into his limo. I am so stinkin’ jealous. He didn’t have his camera on him, though. Bugger.

everso “loverly”
Last night we went to see My Fair Lady down in Covent Garden. It was fun. The costumes were fabulous and the set was wonderful.

eversuch the week for reunions
S@r@h Pr*tzm@n got in to London Saturday. We were finally able to meet up Sunday night at the Methodist Central Hall. She came back to my flat to visit for a while. And tonight, before the show, I met Emily Schnieders, my roommate from last semester. She’s also studying at Westminster. The two of us, and three girls from her programme, went to dinner at Pizza Express.

everso artsy
This week’s excursion was to the Tate Britain. It is the art gallery for British art. We learned about our street’s namesake: William Hogarth. He was the first real British artist; before him, all the big names in painting were from Italy, France and Spain. After the Tate, I went on my own to the Victoria and Albert Museum to the Design and Art Direction Awards exhibition. It was really interesting; it went through the past 40 years of the best advertising, labelling and product design. I recognised a lot of the pieces on display and I’m really glad I got to see it before it left London.

observations
* “fit bird” = “hot chick”
* “Are you alright?” = “What’s up?”/ “How are you?” (but it sounds like the person is asking if you twisted your ankle tripping down the stairs)
*The BBC is great television.

ps, i’m ok
This Saturday an Underground train derailed. Just in case any of you were thinking that I might be on that train, I wanted to quell your fears. (although, obviously, I was fine since I posted earlier this week . . . just thought I’d let you know I was thinking about you.)


the entry I wrote tonight . . .

times I wish I had a digital camera
Celebrity sighting #1. Eat your heart out, John! After waiting in the freezing snow for an hour, Hugh Grant and Sandra Bullock showed up for the Two Weeks Notice London premier. AND I WAS THISCLOSE TO BOTH OF THEM!!!!!! Seriously! A foot away! And I got pictures. Oh I got pictures. I got about five pictures of people who I thought were Hugh and Sandra . . . but weren’t. I did get a good one of Sandra, though, I'm sure of it. But I'm afraid that because my picture of Hugh was my last frame, it might have been cropped. However, I made friends with the guy next to me and he’s going to email me the pictures from his digital camera. This guy was from Taiwan, was a student at the University of Akron and was studying in London. (Small world . . . Akron is where my aunt is a professor.) After the stars went into the theatre, one of the security guards gave me one of the big cardboard posters. I don’t know how I’m getting it home, but I’ll figure it out. I’m not a “Hugh” fan of Sandra and Hugh, but this definitely is the highlight of the semester so far.

the internship is growing on me . . .
I got to play around with Quark today. Sally, the Art Director had a project for me. Menial as it was, it was still on Quark and it was for the art director. I feel like I’m finally getting into the swing of the office and that the others are starting to get used to me. I’m feeling comfortable enough to ask questions. I’m starting to actually learn things about how the magazine comes together. Hopefully, it’ll just keep getting better.

the goals . . .
I thought I’d let you all know my goals for the semester. If I tell you, I’ll hopefully be able to follow through with them. So, here they are, straight from my travel journal:
*Stay within budget of $3,500 (the goal most likely to fail. If I owe my parents $2,000 at the end of the semester, I will consider myself thrifty)
*Visit France, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Ireland, Switzerland, Sweeden, Germany, Spain (I probably won’t get to those last four)
*Make some good friends (accomplished that already)
*Make a good contact or two at my internship for letters of recommendation
*Get at least two design clips (probably mock clips, but clips of some kind at least)
*Do not randomly hook up with a guy
*Maintain a strong faith and relationship with God
*Visit Emily (tick), Sarah (tick), Ryan Horseman and Ryan Nichols (both studying at Reading)
*Be able to pull off a British accent
*Meet and hang out with some British students
*Do not buy anything from an American chain (exceptions: I’ve eaten Pizza Hut, but that was because some of the guys in the flat beneath us bought it and invited us downstairs for free pizza . . . There's a Starbucks in the IPC Media tower and it's part of the office culture to get coffee. Under no circumstances beyond threat of death will I enter a Starbucks anywhere else in Europe however.)

observations
*There are more Cadburry Egg machines than pop machines in the tube stations.
*The color to wear is purple. Men especially wear a lot of violet button down shirts with dark purple ties.
*There are no 3 Muskateers bars here.
*I always thought that people inserted the words 'chap' and 'bloke' to try to be pretentious and sound British, but the girls in the office really do call guys that.

No comments: