8.01.2003

part of the entourage
Yesterday I was in Liberty with work, helping with a commercial shoot. It's an ad that will promote Mizzou in the KC and StL areas starting in Sept. It was nearly a 13 hour day. For 30 seconds. Not that I expected anything different; if a still life photo took 4 hours to take for the magazine, a full day for 30 seconds of hundreds of "still" shots seemed like no time. One of my roles yesterday was to meet Brad Smith, take him into the Liberty High School to change into his football uniform and then bring him out to the practice field where two pop warner teams full of 9-12 year old boys were holding their collective breath to meet him. That walk from the school onto the field was so awkward. Brad was between me and Frank Cuervo, MU Director of Marketing for the athletic teams and in front of us were two local t.v. crews and a hundred+ kids and parents, all focused on our arrival, a hush over the field as soon as the first kid piped up, "He's here!!!!" Now, I know that no one took a second glance at me. I mean, even the soccer moms' eyes were riveted to Brad's cut torso that was very visible under his official MU-Nike sweat-proof undershirt. But should I try to make small talk (the guy's really nice, but exceptionally shy), swing my arms, look at him with wonder and amazement, or simply drool like everyone else? Why all the fuss? And why did I have to feel so awkward? Man, that sociology class has warped me.

No comments: