9.23.2007

A Bit of Honesty

I'm starting to get pretty sick of the clothes I've packed, but I've been put off shopping because everything here is either fake labels that don't do anything for me, or items I could find at home for about the same price (and I don't want to lug things like that around for the next two weeks!). I'm finding that Vietnam was a bit more up my alley than Thailand or Malaysia, if only because there was so much that was different. Thailand and Malaysia have become so Westernized that even when I'm the only Caucasian person around, I don't feel that sense of wonderment that I relished while in Vietnam.

There are only 10 days left until I head back to the States. I think I'm ready for a little familiarity -- I got excessively excited to eat at a Nando's (a British chicken fast food joint) this afternoon -- because it offered something other than rice or noodles.

I just don't think I'm ready to get back to the "real world" yet. Maybe I could consider home as a stopover on yet another travel route -- a chance to wear something other than the same five tank tops I've been wearing for the past two and a half months.

More Bathroom Etiquette
I learned today that rather than queueing up for the bathroom as a whole, here in Malaysia you queue for a particular stall. It took me a while to figure out why all these girls were cutting in front of me. Then I realized that I wasn't following the "rules".

No comments: