7.20.2007

Sticking Around
For various reasons, I've decided to stay in Edinburgh for an extra day. The hostel was booked solid for tonight, so I have a new plan (inspiration brought to me by Dan). The new Harry Potter book comes out at midnight tonight, meaning that I probably won't even get a copy until 12:30 or 1 a.m. The first train back to London King's Cross leaves at 6:15 a.m. (boarding around 5:45). By the time I make it back to the hostel to collect my luggage, that leaves me about 5 to 5 and a half hours to chill in the train station, which should get me at least a third of the way into the book, depending on my supply of caffeine. Suh-weet.



This is Why I'm Out Here
My adventure in Edinburgh has confirmed why I'm doing this trip. I've had 5 days here on my first solo adventure, my first hostel adventure (in 4 years at least), my first new city adventure, my first figure-things-out / make-new-friends / try-new-foods adventure. The first day or so was uneventful, but then I got up my courage to actually talk to people in my 14-girl dorm room. And -- surprise, surprise -- I found them all to be delightful! It's utterly fantastic to enter a city knowing not a single soul, only to be pubbing a day later with what feels like a contingent from the U.N. My nights have been filled with conversations, drinks and stories shared amongst Canadians, Australians, Kiwis, Germans, Scots, Hong Kong(ers?), South Africans, Spaniards, Italians and the odd American here and there. This, my friends, is worth it.

No comments: