4.19.2007

Here, There and Everywhere
I don't know when I'm going to be able to hear a report about the Virginia Tech massacre without crying. When I first heard the news Monday morning I never expected I would feel such a connection to this event. Analyses of the tragedy often include that banal phrase, "It could happen anywhere." But when I hear the reports, it's not anywhere. It's Mizzou. When they talk of the dorm where the first shootings occured, I picture the third floor of McDavid. When they mention the engineering classrooms, it's Engineering Building West, a building that hosted several of my courses, that I see. And the spontaneous candlelight vigils? I envision them at Speaker's Circle and the Quad. It doesn't matter how many times I see pictures of VT students or graphics showing the school's campus layout; it hits closer than that. My mind fills the gaps between reporters' words with my school, my RAs, my friends. This feels personal.

No comments: