3.25.2003

inconceivable!
I can't believe that I went to Oxford (and of course the Great Hall used for the filming of the Harry Potter movies) and never wrote to tell you all about it! Please forgive my ineptness.

just in time for the sorting ceremony
We got to Christ Church college and had five minutes to get to the great hall before it closed so the students could eat lunch. Racing past the guards, we rounded the corner and the steps came into view. Everything else vanished and I felt like a nervous first year, arriving at Hogwarts for the first time. As I climbed the steps, I half expected to see Maggie Smith in her emerald robes ready to instruct us to line up to be presented to the sorting hat. 'Trevor!' I shouted/whispered, re-living the role of Neville finding his toad by Professor McGonagall's feet at the top of the stairway. Megan rolled her eyes (we had to pay £3 for this?) and Elizabeth laughed, but at that moment, I had left all Muggles behind and I was a student at Hogwarts.

does this worry anyone?
Maybe this is why I don't have much luck with guys. I'm waiting for a 15 year-old Brit to sweep me off my feet and onto his broom, whisking me away into the Forbidden Forest.

through the looking glass, into narnia to visit the lord of the rings
Just so you all don't think I've gone completely off the deep end, I also drank in the shadows of literary greatness left in Oxford by Lewis Carroll, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein. Carroll was very much inspired by Oxford where he lived and worked and incorporated characteristics of the Christ Church great hall into Alice in Wonderland. We tried to eat at the pub frequented by the Inklings, Lewis, Tolkein, and their friends. They would meet regularly to read and discuss their writings. Unfortunately, they shut the kitchen right when we went up to order, and being as famished as we were, we figured we had to feast on more than the ghosts of the greats.

up next
Well, first, I'm going to research the requirements of becoming a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford. Tomorrow we head to the Inns of Court where the justice of this land is carried out. Thursday, our journalism class is taking a tour of the Economist. That evening, Protz and I take an overnight coach/ferry and arrive in Dublin early Friday morning. So, I'll be in the land of Eire this weekend. Oh Blarney.

No comments: